Present Continuous - Presente Contínuo
Atualizado: 16 de abr. de 2020
Esse será nosso primeiro post 100% em Inglês! Nele, vou explicar e exemplificar o Present Continuous
Anna is in her car. She is on her way to work. She is driving to work.
I/you/he/she/it/we/they + verb to be + ing
I am doing something = I’m in the middle of doing something. I have started doing and I haven’t finished yet.
1) Often the action is happening at the time of speaking: • Please don’t make so much noise. I’m working. (not “I work”)
• “Where is John?” “He is having a bath!” (not “he has a bath”) • Let’s go out now. It isn’t raining anymore. (not “it doesn’t rain”) • (at a party) Hello, Mary! Are you enjoying the party? (not “do you enjoy)
• I’m tired. I’m going to bed now. Goodnight!
2) But the action is not necessarily happening at the time of speaking.
For example: Anna and John are talking:
John: I’m reading an interesting book at the moment. I’ll lend you when I have finished it.
Examples: • Mary wants to live in Italy, so she is learning Italian.
• My friend is building his own house.
3) We use the present continuous when we talk about things happening in a period around now. (today, this week, this morning, this year)
• I’m working hard today. • John is not working this week because he is on holiday.We can also use the present continuous when we talk about changes happening around now.
• The population of the world is rising very fast. • Your English is getting better.