Present Simple - Presente Simples
Atualizado: Abr 16
O segundo post 100% em Inglês aqui do Blog!
No post passado, eu expliquei o Present Continuous! Dessa vez, vou explicar o Present Simple.
Se você não viu o post anterior, clique aqui!
Alex is a bus driver, but now he is in bed asleep.
So: He is not driving a bus, but he drives a bus.
I/we/you/they + drive/work/do/walk he/she/it + drives/works/does/walks
1) We use the present simple to talk about things in general.We are not thinking only about now. We use it to say that something happens all the time or repeatedly, or that something is true in general. It is not important whether the action is happening at the time of speaking: • Nurses look after patients in hospital.
• I usually go away at weekends. • The earth goes round the sun.
2) We use do/does to make questions and negative sentences: Do + I/we/you/they + work/come/do/drive Does + he/she/it + work/come/do/drive I/we/you/they + don’t + work/come/do/drive He/she/it + doesn’t work/come/do/drive • I come from Brazil.Where do you come from? • “Would you like a cigarette?” “No, thanks. I don’t smoke.”
• What does this word mean? • My sister doesn’t like rice.
Sometimes, do can be also the main verb: • What do you do? • He is so lazy. He doesn’t do anything to help me. 3) We use the present simple when we say how often we do things:
• I get up at 8 o’clock every morning. • How often do you go to the dentist? • Mary doesn’t drink coffee very often. • In summer Jake usually plays tennis once or twice a week.
Now, compare the present continuous and the present simple:
• Silence! I am working. • I work at Volvo. • The water is boiling. Can you turn it off?
• Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius. • I’m going to bed now. • I always go to bed before midnight.